Football is a newborn as to statistical analysis.
A few years coaches and fans handle a range of data that are unlikely, however, to frame the specifics of the game, its fluidity and irregularities, to say nothing of all peculiarities football that an individual gesture decides a match, sometimes an entire season or era (Ramos on 93 ° in final CL), perhaps in contrast to the data of the remaining 90 ‘. Football is less quantifiable than other sports such as basketball or baseball in the repetition of gestures that have a matrix more suitable for quantitative analysis.
Among the latest data collected there are the meters you. Thanks to the tracking introduced by UEFA we know how many meters has covered any player in Champions. This figure actually, alone helps little.
Knowing that Flamini has banged like crazy, because Arsenal in 3 out of 6 races went behind, we care little. And does not matter if Messi walks, because Barca does 80% of possession and with two accelerations Leo makes 3 goals and 4 assists. This summer the FIFA has gone further noting in Brazil the meters you in the possession or not possession, the average and maximum speed and number of sprints. So we have seen, eg., That Pirlo runs as much as Marchisio and over Robben, but only during possession (and given that keeps him running much ..), to a lower speed and a number of sprints zero. Thanks to hell … but at least the data is there to certify that Andrea runs, is not just an optical illusion.
RUN MUCH, ALL RUN, RUN WELL.
We come to the meters, even kilometers traveled in the group stage of Champions. In Europe the quality counts and this is decisive, but the running helps the fortune, especially if you run in an organized and if the quality does not decrease at high pace. However, is always repeated that in Europe there is more speed, dynamism exasperated, suffocating pressure, only to read the foreigners arrived in Serie A they all invariably say: never trained so hard! It’s not just a speech of physical resistance or preparation, but mental attitude, tactical attitude: speed as a tactical weapon, as a mental habit, not only physical.
Let’s see how it works. Who runs and who is not between individuals and teams. Let’s see where we are and were is Borussia. Obviously with all the factors that alter the data (result, role, qualifications achieved, etc.).
Table 1 – Top 30 per media covered meters per minute. (minimum 180 ‘)
The first table tells us three things:
- Borussia runs a lot, more than all. Bate and Liverpool also have 3-4 men in the top 30, but the results had to be recovered and Bate – we’ll see – chases especially in non-possession. With Klopp instead you run, anyway. Possessing or less, or not in disadvantage.
- English, German, Eastern teams run a lot. Spanish and Portuguese certainly not walking. For French is only Dirar in 1st place, and stop. But above all there is no player of Juventus and Roma, or in the top 30 or the top 50. The first of the “Italian” is Pjanic (59 °), then Marchisio 72nd.
- Midfielders and median run, especially the soldiers. But in the top 30 (and in the top 50), there are some exceptions, the play Xabi Alonso and Koke, the attacking midfielders or wingers Shurrle, Danny and Griezmann.
Table 2 – Chart Team for media yards per minute (excluding goalies)
Table 2 tells us a couple of things:
- As we said the BVB runs so much, with or without possess, often vertical, but also Chelsea and Arsenal combine running, possession and quality, beyond the increased substance of Mourinho men.
- Juve are in the middle ground. We do not run nor a lot nor little, we are in media. It should be recognized, however, that we are 3rd in possession (after the “slow” Barcelona and Bayern), so it is clear that our size of the marathoners rises considerably, seeing that ours do little less than 3 meters from the Sporting large group down, but they have much higher percentages of possession.
- The Roma remained below the ford. Raced less than its being required outsider, and especially less than a tactic based on verticality and counterattacks needed. Of course having three agée players like Totti , Keita and Maicon impacts a little .
Table 3 – Chart Players with less meters per minute (excluding goalies)
Table 3 is a entertainment, tells us that Ibrahimovic runs in a race less meters of a goalkeeper (Cech) which if you think about it is awesome, and that at Barcelona, Suarez and Messi in front and Piqué , Mathieu and Busquets behind, are walking by circulating the ball (but also at Paris SG they take it easy).
Table 4 – Head to Head
Impresses a direct comparison with BVB. As we said Juve is on average with the 32 of the groups, but lost all direct comparisons with the men of Klopp. In midfield, the Germans run all a lot more of our marathon Marchisio, and forwards the three attackers are always on the move, and travel more meters also of our other midfielders (Vidal, Pogba, Asa, etc.).
- Among ours to highlight from the meters done by Llorente, other than buoy or light pole. Spanish is a mobile landmark runs and flips more than Tevez and is committed to pressing. His mileage looks good eg. with the seemingly more mobile Morata, whose figure reflects the many pieces of game when he was obviously fresher.
- Among ours rivals besides the mileage from Kehl and Bender, stands the mobility of Gundogan, given to out of shape and overweight after the serious injury, and instead the most dynamic one in CL.
Conclusion: 10 kilometers more.
From here in February there will be rivers of analysis on the European caliber of Borussia and bipolarity of Klopp’s men between Bundesliga and Champions, which is a bit ‘also ours, but in reverse. I do not care here fatten this river.
While remaining only on racing and dynamism one thing is certain: it is the harder test for our already difficult adaptation to European rhythms. Quite another thing would have been to meet PSG and Barcelona teams in which – apart from phenomena – the pace is much more “Italian” with players who walk an average of 20 meters per minute and even less of ours and 30 less than men of Klopp.
Try to multiply 30 meters per minute for 10 outfield players and on an entire race from 90 minutes to more made even more intense by the double comparison eliminated. I’ll tell you: does 30 KM. Try to think of having in front Reus and associates that grind in one hour and half THIRTY kilometers more than Ibra and companions. Quality and organization aside, the clash is projected immediately on a physical level and a whole different rhythm.
Juve are used to handling the ball and circulate it against opponents of Serie A that shut themselves up in their half of the pitch positioning themselves in a fairly static manner. The rock Football of Klopp instead does not let up, do not give breaks. Everyone runs to guard areas, to double, triple and asphyxiate in non possession phase and gives 3-4 opportunity to pass the ball and verticalization in possession phase . When Klopp noted Aubameyang, Mkhitaryan and Immobile saw them in a strenuous workout for 90 minutes: seen and liked.
In this clash will be worth still the same litany European: clarity, attention, attitude and personality, but specifically we must face another opponent: 10 m more of run each of the 10 men Klopp per minute. The 100 meters more run from Borussia every minute, the 10 kilometers in more that gialloneri run in 95 minutes and that at this time we are overcomed by them.
We must run pretty damn fast. If not, we stop to the pole.
adapted in English an article of Sandro Scarpa of juventibus.com